1. Determine the type, purpose, and audience of your paper.
2. Ask a question, then make the answer your thesis statement.
3. Take a stance, then ensure that it is provable.
4. State it in two parts: a clear topic and a brief summary of what you will say.
5. Limit the thesis to one or two sentences.
There are three common types of writing which you are likely to use in an essay: academic, journalistic, and business writing. You need to know all three, as which one you use will depend not on your profession, but on the purpose of the specific piece which you are writing. Academic Writing Academic writing is Read more about Types of essay writing. Which you are likely to use? […]
3. The vaccine created by our team of researchers is promising in the fight against the virus. (The research paper would present evidence and reasons why the vaccine might work against the virus.)
Disclaimer: The papers provided by serve as model papers for students and are not to be submitted
as it is. These papers are intended to be used for research and reference purposes only.
an explanation of the topic or purpose of a research paper
Because the role of the thesis statement is to state the central message of your entire paper, it is important to re-visit (and maybe rewrite) your thesis statement after the paper is written. it is quite normal for your message to change as you construct your paper!